Thursday, February 10, 2005

Chinese New Year?? Hmm...

I've just found out that I've not blogged for 6 days... Haha... I'm bad at this! Have been so busy for the last few days, school plus a trip for the new international students in my school, Auckland Girls' Grammar School. The trip itdelf was fun. Went to the Britomart Train Station. I've been there once, my cousin showed me around the station. I was so sorry that I couldn't take a train ride. Then went to Downtown harbour, was so excited that we'll be able to sit on a ferry... Mind you, a ferry here is very nice... Not like the ones at the ferry points' in Lundu and Sibu. Found out that I'm really lousy... Got sea-sick even though the ferry was not moving yet. I was thinking how am I going to survive the ferry ride when I'm already sea-sick. Went to Devonport, 10 minutes by ferry... I don't throw up when I'm sea-sick. Just had a really bad headache and was swaying left and right when I got on the ground. Luckily a friend handed me a herbal sweet. Went round Devonport town, sight-seeing... Then went to Cheltenham beach... The beaches are so gorgeous... It's really the clear, blue sea... The sandy beach is almost golden white... Took some group photos... Then went back to the city. We arrived at Auckland War Memorial Musuem... Didn't really tour it... Really sorry. Wemt to see the Manaia Maori cultural performance. Amazing, they can really sing and dance... Plus the "kapahaka" or known as the "haka" is really fearsome. Will tell more when I could get more information. The musuem is situated in Auckland Domain which is really a big park. We had lunch, pizza in the domain. The weather was just fabulous. Sunny and blue... Then we went back to school. Not much but really had fun! That day was also Chinese New Year's eve. Not like Kuching where you can get fresh seafood... but this one was also not bad... My aunt had a steamboat going... Great dinner but not like home... Miss my parents a lot, especially that day as it's a day of gathering... What to do?? My school started earlier so... No CNY in Kuching. The first day of new year was nothing much. Did visit my relative here, my mother's cousin. So, did get some "angpows" from them. At least this custom is not dead here yet... hahaha... Miss the festive feeling in Kuching. It's so cold here, but did wish "Happy Chinese New Year" among my China friends. School's ok. Got lost a few times and was late to class. I still prefer the Malaysian system *hehe* where the teacher goes to the students not vice-versa. I'm taking up violin lessons here... So, still have to practice but I think should learn a lot as the education system is different here. The students don't stay togther much unless you have at least two or three same subjects at the same period... If not, we have just to meet in breaktimes and lunch times. This will be the 3rd week of schooling and some examinations are coming up this week. Do pray that I can do well. Church is fine... Still have to get use to Chinese... Practice makes perfect I guess... Making lots of friends here... At least I've got a Maori friends. Most of them are not that friendly... The Caucasians are still ok... Asians definitely a lot. So, I think I'm settling down just nice but miss the food in Kuching... Laksa, Kueh Chap, Asam Curry Fish Head... *drooling* hahaha...

No comments: